Here’s the step by step instructions on how to create a LinkedIn API application to be used with the WP-LinkedIn plugin. I will try to keep it as accurate as possible but if you notice any discrepancy or have questions then don’t hesitate to post a comment.
- Go to the LinkedIn Developer Network
- Click on the big yellow “Create Application” button
- Fill in all the fields in the next form. You will probably need to create a new company. You will need an application logo url using HTTPS (you can use your Twitter profile picture url or a public image on Flickr or Facebook) check the “terms” check box and click the “Submit” button
- On the next form you will have to add the OAuth 2.0 authorized redirect url which is given to you on the settings page of the plugin (something like http://yourdomain.com/oauth/linkedin/). You must give the exact url, including the trailing slash if there is one. Paste it in the field then click on the yellow “Add” button. Click the “Update” button.
- Finally copy the authentication keys (“Client ID” and “Client Secret”) and copy them in the corresponding fields on the plugin’s settings page and click on the “Save Changes” button.
- Once the settings have been saved you will notice an error message that says that your authentication token is expired or invalid (you don’t have one yet, so it’s definitely invalid). Click the link in the message and you will be taken to LinkedIn. They will ask you to login (unless you’re already logged in) and then will ask you to authorize the application to have access to your profile. Once you authorize the application you will be redirected to your website.
Image Credits: Jerry Luk